Regional students demystify design
On 16 April, 100 Year 11 & 12 VCD students from around Victoria came to the La Trobe Visual Arts Centre for this LEAP event - What Designers Actually Do.
Three guest designers from Bendigo treated students from Cohuna SC, St. Brigids Coll, Bendigo Senior SC and Rochester SC to a seminar aimed at gaining an insight into the role of design in multiple sectors and what it takes to transition from secondary school to higher education.
Product designer Dale Hardiman from LAB DE STU spoke about ethical design and the process of refining a product to make the most of materials and labour, while considering the impact on local manufacturing. The Mr Dowell Jones desk lamp design is a stunning example and Dale talked the students through the process of designing, developing and creating this lamp, which was selected for London Design Week and continues to win awards across the globe.
Architect Joost Van Bree of Bree Architects addressed a range of beautiful stuctures built in and around Bendigo. By walking through a design brief, students gained knowlege of the design process of a building from start to finish and how many industries are involved.
Representing communication design, the final speaker was Craig Dunn from Filthy Monkey. Craig's designs can be seen in and around Bendigo but he works on design briefs from around the world. His design work on coffee franchise in L.A. The Aussie Bean was a highlight.
This was a great opportunity for students to gain real insight into design from leading practitioners.
Students commented that they learned:
- "...specifics about the design processes, industries, and the differences between different professions..."
- "You don't need an amazing ATAR to get far."
Teachers commented after the event:
- "The opportunity for students to have these three notable designers talking to them about the amazing high quality work that they design is a real highlight for the year and is something that we all look forward to. The fact that Dale and Craig are past Bendigo Senior Secondary College students gives our current students hope and reinforces what we are always telling them; that with hard work and dedication they too could become professional designers. With Joost being based in Bendigo, it allows our students to view first hand many of his Architectural masterpieces and to be inspired to work towards gaining entry into courses in Architecture."
- "Today's workshop was a great insight on career paths that students don't know a whole lot about...yet. I'm sure there will be plenty of questions regarding studies etc."
- "Students SAT folios need to relate to their chosen career paths. We will now be able to refer to these designers and their design fields when discussing options for the SAT folio."
LEAP into… Design activities aim to encourage students to consider a career in Design. View all Design activities available to your school.