Fun is legal at Victoria’s annual Law Week - 16-22 May
Law Week is a festival of events throughout Victoria, all to do with the law.
Not all events require bookings but those that do are very popular, so be quick!
For a full listing of the events and event bookings, visit the Law Week Festival Hub, in Federation Square: Open daily 8.30am-6pm to pick up a program to keep track of what's on in Melbourne and in Regional locations. Or go to the Victoria Law Foundation's Law Week website [http://www.everyday-law.org.au/law-week/whats-on-in-law-week-2016] to view the listing of daily events. The website is also a really good resource for information about the workings of the law and the legal system.
Check it out now, before places fill up!
Some of the week's highlights include:-
- Metropolitan Law Talks - a free one-day program that brings the law to life for Year 12 VCE Legal Studies students. Dynamic presentations delivered by senior members of the judiciary, practitioners and leaders of key legal bodies. The presentations relate directly to the Legal Studies curriculum, and there is a session on how to succeed with Legal Studies assessment tasks and the exam. 9.00am - 12.30pm at RMIT; 1.00 - 3.00pm at Old Magistrates' Court & Old Melbourne Gaol.
- Law Week in the West – legal information stall - free legal information from Victoria Legal Aid, Victoria Law Foundation and CommUnity plus at the legal information stall outside Victoria University at MetroWest, 3.00 to 4.00 pm, 17 May (No booking required).
- Law Week in the West – Movie Night in the Courthouse, FREE for ages 15-25 - Enjoy FREE popcorn and ice cream while watching Aussie drama Face to Face in a real courtroom followed by Q&A, 5.00 to 7.15 pm, 18 May. (Booking required - limited places).
- Careers in the law - information sessions for students interested in legal studies - check the program or online for locations, days and times.
- Regional and Metro Law Courts, Gaols, Parliament and more... Tours, Open Days, Exhibitions - check the program or online for locations, days and times of tours and talks.
- Courts Open Day – Up close and personal, Supreme Court of Victoria - VCE legal studies students will have the rare opportunity to meet and interact with Court staff and legal professionals. 12.30 to 1.30pm, 21 May.
- Law Courts Open Days - tours and themed events (mock trials, Behind the Scenes tours, Supreme Court Dungeon Tour, Magistrates, Judges and Registrars talks and more...) - various locations in Melbourne and Regional Courts, various dates.